Don’t Ignore that you just Hit a Curb!
Winter roads are slick in Libertyville, and across Illinois. As you drive along snowy, icy roads this winter, use extra caution to remain in control of your vehicle to avoid slides and skids.
At The Pit Shop Garage, we’ve seen many of our customers’ vehicles suffer damage from sliding into a curb on slick winter roads. Even though this seems like a small mistake, hitting a curb can have major impacts on your car. Don’t ignore it! Stop by our auto shop to have an inspection before small damage causes big problems. Call us at (847) 562-5690 to schedule an appointment.
Potential issues from hitting a curb:
- Hitting a curb even going as slow as 5-10 mph can have a major impact on the performance of your tires. Tire wear damage is possible in as little as 200 miles after a curb impact.
- Tie Rods are the connection between your steering system and the wheels. Any damage to the tie rods can severely inhibit your ability to steer, especially important when roads are slick.
- The control arms allow up and down movement of the suspension while holding the knuckles, spindles, and axles firmly onto the car. Jarring from hitting a curb can cause extreme damage to the control arms and suspension of your vehicle.
- A steering knuckle contains the wheel hub or spindle and attaches to the suspension components. It is variously called a steering knuckle, spindle, upright or hub, as well. Damage to steering knuckles also impacts suspension and steering your vehicle.
- Tires and Wheels can be damaged as well. If you suspect tire damage, have it inspected immediately to avoid costly problems.
What should you do?
If you hit a curb, call us at (847) 562-5690 to schedule an inspection as soon as possible. Our certified technicians will make sure your vehicle can keep you safely on the road, without risking extensive damage and costly future repairs.
An alignment check is a small expense, but can save your vehicle many miles and dollars from costly issues. If an adjustment is needed, this inspection can save many miles on your tires, and help you get more miles out of every dollar if other issues are found (by catching and fixing small problems before they lead to extensive damage and costly repairs). But more importantly, a check will provide peace of mind that you and your family will stay safe while driving, especially as it gets really cold in Illinois.
Don’t ignore the fact that you just hit a curb! Call today to have your vehicle inspected.
Stay safe and warm this week (and all winter) in Libertyville. To prepare your vehicle for cold weather, stop by The Pit Shop Garage for an inspection: (847) 562-5690.